As a family caregiver, you know how important it is to care for your parent’s skin. Their skin protects them, regulates what goes in and out, and regulates their temperature. When thinking about caring for your parent’s skin, however, it is important that you recognize the differing needs of different areas of their body so you can give them the care that they need to keep them safe and healthy. One part of their body that may need particular care is their feet. Many health problems, including diabetes, can leave your parent’s feet at serious risk of injury, irritation, and other complications.
Use these tips to help you care for your parent’s feet to prevent injury and irritation:
• Wash them gently. Make sure that your parent’s feet get washed carefully each day even if they are not taking a full bath or shower that day. Use gentle cleansers and dry them thoroughly
• Moisturize thoroughly. After your parent has washed their feet, make sure that they apply a high-quality moisturizer. If they are suffering from particularly dry skin, encourage them to wear a pair of cotton socks over a thick layer of moisturizer to aid in absorption
• Care for their nails. Encourage your parent to keep their nails short. Avoid cutting or tearing off their nails so that they are uneven or too short, which can lead to ingrown nails
• Inspect regularly. Particularly if your parent suffers from diabetes, nerve damage, or another condition that makes it so that your parent cannot feel what is happening to their feet as effectively, make sure to check their feet regularly. Review their skin for injuries, cuts, blisters, splinters, or other damage that could put them at risk for infection
• Check water temperate carefully. Keep in mind that if your parent has compromised feeling in their feet they will not be able to detect temperatures. This means that they could suffer a serious scald if they put their feet in water that is too hot. Even if they do not feel it, they could be at risk of infection and other problems.
Starting senior care for your aging parent can be one of the best decisions that you can make for them throughout the course of your caregiver journey for them. Valley Home Care, serving the greater Fresno, Modesto, Merced and Los Banos areas can provide services for your parent on a customized schedule to ensure that they get all of the care, support, assistance, and encouragement that they need as they age in place.
Through a set of highly personalized services tailored specifically to your aging parent’s needs, challenges, and limitations, Valley Home Care of Fresno and Modesto can help your parent to stay healthy, safe, comfortable, and happy while pursuing a lifestyle that is as independent, active, and engaged as possible throughout their later years.
When it comes to helping them keep their skin healthy and safe, this care provider can support your parent in fulfilling their personal care needs, such as effective bathing, and support good lifestyle choices such as regular handwashing and moisturization. As a family caregiver, this can give you peace of mind knowing your senior can live a high quality of life when you are with them and when you are not.